Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos - 33K

I've become a dirty girl!
There is no point washing socks every day because they never dry in one day, and if it's raining, they never dry - period. So I've decided to wear the same pair every day and wash them as infrequently as possible. When they start to stand up on their own, like a pair of boots, then I may wash them.

The day started with a steep climb for quite awhile, and before long, it started to rain. In fact it rained most of the day. After a coffee stop at the usual bar/restaurant/grocery store, I walked for the rest of the day with a couple of British chaps I had met the night before.
On a pleasant day it's always OK to walk alone, and I really enjoy it, but it's nice to have company on a cold and rainy day. We walked to the outskirts of Burgos 33k, then, per our Pilgrim's guide, they suggested that a bus should be taken to the city centre, rather than walking another 7 or 8 K.
Since we had been walking for about 9 hours, we all felt OK about that. After getting off at city centre and knowing that the Albergue was at the far end of town, the three of us decided that we would book into a convenient hotel for the night. There was a nice one within walking distance and, as off season rates were really good, the decision was made.

It's recommended on this trip that, at least once, you treat yourself to some nice accommodation, so this seemed the ideal time - as we were freezing and wet. The Brits had decide to end the walk here, as one of them had developed foot problems and they planned on being tourists for a day or two. One of them very kindly bestowed his Spanish/English dictionary on me as a parting gift.

In the hotel, a huge deep bathtub awaited me - and big fluffy towels - what bliss!!
I had arranged to meet the boys for dinner and ran out to a bank machine, as I was very low on cash and no one was taking my Visa.

Much to my horror my Interact card was denied. I ran frantically from cash machine to cash machine with the same result. They all said my PIN was invalid. It was the same as with my Visa.
Needless to say, I could not relax much during dinner, as I was down to my last 20 euro.
I've booked into a hotel I cannot pay for and I have no money for anything else.

Stay tuned for next installment ...

3 comments:

Steve said...

Beware!
It appears that only 4-digit PINs are accepted in some parts of Europe - different between Visa and Debit, depending on where you are.
Lynne's PIN is too long, and it seems impossible to fix it while away.
Visa support sucks!
(Too tangled up in security to actually help.)

Sandra said...

oh my. This is the sort of thing that would put me right over the edge. Luckily, my PIN is 4 digits, since I can't trust myself to remember anything longer. Steve, I trust you've figure out a way to wire this woman some money?? I'm too far away to defend her on a fraudulent accommodation charge.

Dee said...

Oh geez. Let me know if there's anything I can do. You must be frantic. Count to ten and breeeeethe. . .

Dee