Thursday, October 2, 2008

Before the trek

I thought I would let all of you know that I hope to walk the El Camino trail across the top of Spain, ( or at least part of it,) beginning next week.
This trail is known because of the millions of pigrims who have walked this 780 kilometer route that begins by crossing the Pyrenees mountains in France, then on to Santiago Spain, the legendary resting place of the body of the apostle St James. (hence referred to as "the Camino de Santiago".)

Millons have trod this stony path since the 9th century. Now, more than 100,000 people a year complete at least part of this ancient pilgrim route, and do so for a variety of reasons.

I'm not entirely clear as to what my reasons are, but I want to tackle a little bit of it at least.

I hope that some of you will register to post comments on this blog, as I will definitely need your encouragment along the way. I will try and post the highlites of my trip, as I go, and as internet cafes etc become available.
I fly out on Tuesday morning, and I hope to start my climb across the Pyrenees by Thursday..Friday latest.
I am competely terrified of the first day.
It is a 30 kilometer hike to the hostel I will stay at for the night, carrying my back pack the entire time. A friend who did it last year said it took her 10 hours.
7 straight up and 3 down.

Hokey Heck! Wish me luck!

6 comments:

lucia said...

Okay got it.

lucia said...

For us Americans isn't 30 Kil. 18 miles? Yikes!!!! Superwoman! Have a great time lady, will be cheering you on. Lucia

vivie said...

WOW you are doing it my courageous and adventuresome friend...good for you!
Will be cheering you on!!
Vivie

Cheryl said...

You're an amazing lady & my thoughts will be with you EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Good luck Lynne and can't wait to read your blog adventures.

Heather said...

Lynne, Jim has taught me how to send you messages so I'll try and do it ofter, I hope you have a really super time. Love, heather

seppbaumgartner said...

I wish you to find some some helpfully pilgrim friends (as i have found Darlene on my camino). weather must not be marvelous, but your eyes must be awaken to see the beauties of the nature (and not blisters on your feet. have a lot of courage! Josef from Switzerland