Thursday, October 16, 2008

Los Arcos to Viana



Stayed in Los Arcos last night - nice Albergue - only 4 bunk beds to a room, and no snorers.
Heaven!
A nice line outside for drying clothes in a sunny spot, so things actually dried the same day.
Today I had the option of travelling 20k or 30k, and although I felt up for the 30k, the village at the 20k mark was so beautiful, I wanted to take some time to be a tourist. A bit of a tough decision as all my companions were doing the 30k.
The thing is; I have the time, and most nights there isn't much opportunity to explore the wonderful medieval villages we rest in. So I think it was a good decision.
The walk today was great - a few hills naturally, lots of stones, but the scenery was so beautiful. There are many different wine regions in Spain and this is one of them - there were vineyards all around us and in the valleys below. We seemed to be walking on a high crest, so we could see for miles around. The weather is spectacular - somewhere between 18C to 22C.
I walked for part of the day with 2 sisters from France. We had a great time trying to understand each other - lots of fun (note to self; sign up for French classes when I return home.)
Had lunch in the shade of a vineyard with Thomas from Germany and Aude from Belgium. They both speak very good English. I feel embarrassed that I don't speak 2 languages, as most people here speak a minimum of 2.
We always share our lunches - today was chorizio (Spanish sausage), bread, cheese, tomato and some grapes, of course.
Viana is a beautiful town, founded in the 13th century and surrounded by high walls.
All of the villages seem to have a village square where people gather, and there is usually a beautiful old working fountain as well, where thirsty pilgrims can replenish their water bottles.
Each region here has its own wine and, so far, they all seem to be fabulous.
I had 2 glasses today of the most divine stuff and it was about $1.00 a glass.
Yesterday we actually passed a wine fountain (yes, a tap with free wine, attached to the outside of a Bodega (winery), where pilgrims were invited to drink.
(See picture above.)

The Albergue is very nice here - the bunks are 3 layers high, but I was assigned a lower bunk -Oh joy!
There is something I enjoy so much about getting up each morning, putting on my too-heavy backpack and watching the sun rise over the land as I walk.
You have no responsibilities, no decisions to be made - no stressors.
You just have to put one foot in front of another until you reach your resting place for that day.
I truly understand why many people undertake this journey for religious or spiritual reasons.
(I wish I hadn't made so many pacts with the Devil whilst crossing the Pyrenees).
Perhaps, even I will find redemption before my time is up on the Camino.
Adios, for now.

2 comments:

Steve said...

A tap with free running wine, and you left it behind!
Are you nuts?
Pilgrim Rule #42: Pilgrims accept the gifts of heaven and earth - and as much of them as they can get for free before getting kicked out.

What?
Did I say something wrong?
I'm just saying, eh.

lucia said...

I agree with Steve, it sounds like my kind of town!
I can't tell you how much I love your blog. It is interesting, funny and I look forward to it. I start checking the computer around the time I think it might arrive with much anticipation.

glad you had a "short" day today though I don't know if I would call 20 kils. short but I guess it's all relative. In some of the other Pligrim blogs I've read the travelers have splurged and booked a hotel room on occasion. You know one of those places with a bed and real sheets!! Some also tired of the Pilgrim meal and went out for dinner...just a thought.
God knows you deserve it.