Friday, October 24, 2008

Burgos to Hontanas - 34 K

On the road again ...

I think I may have mentioned how much I loved Burgos.
I am currently in love with all things Spanish - the people, their warmth & hospitality, the food, the architecture & scenery, the clothing & shoes, the olive oil and the wine.
(Note to self: forget about the French lessons and just take Spanish.)

I love their cultural habits as well.
They all come out at night with their friends and families. The streets are absolutely jammed at 8.30 pm - babies, kids, parents, couples - all clearly enjoying themselves.
No one is sitting at home in front of the boob tube watching reruns of Law & Order.
This city is filled with monuments - the Cathedral is breathtaking - and a beautiful river runs through the city, lined with chestnut trees and parks.
(Don't panic Steve. I haven't checked out real estate yet.)
It would be great to come back some day and just be a tourist.

Right now, I'm getting back into pilgrim mode.
Very cold when I started out this morning. I wore everything I had and was wishing I had a winter hat. However, by early afternoon it had warmed up and I started shedding stuff.
Walked alone all day, but it was bright and sunny, so it was good to be alone with my thoughts.
I saw no other pilgrims until I was close to my resting spot.

The walk was flat as well, so although it was a long walk, it was OK. I felt I could go further today, but my feet have a separate identity from me and they are not happy with much beyond 27 K. Need to keep them happy.

Adios for now.

5 comments:

Steve said...

OhMyGod! You've gone native.

OK, maybe the latest Law & Order re-runs are a bit stale, but there's a whole new season of something-or-other coming up that's bound to take it's place.

Just saying.

vivie said...

Hi Lynne, I am now the proud owner of walking poles and gloves. My longest hike has been 4 hours, I know a piece of cake, amongst the colourful foliage in hilly southeastern Michigan, it has been invigorating. So appreciate you taking the time to entain us with your wonderful journey...except for the blistered bound feet and sloshing in wet socks in the rain. The imagery while reading your ventures if often very funny.
Keep trekking, you are amazing. Love ya Vivie

Cheryl said...

What an amazing person you are 27 k in one day ! I would have like to have been a fly on the wall when you went through the hassles of getting money from the ATM's...
I could just picture you going from place to place - can't wait
to hear all the details of this when you get back.....you'll have
us in stitches. Keep on treking.
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Hi Lynne, it's Rob and Jackie from another Spanish country...the Dominican Republic!

We have caught up on your blog. Congratulations!!!!!!!! It's a very inspiring odyssey,
and it has us hunting for our hiking boots and backpacks (not right now, mind you. We are
currently busy doing nothing but beach walks and sipping cocktails).

Enjoy the rest of your adventure and we look forward to getting together again when you are back.

With love,
Jackie and Rob

Wendy said...

Hi Lynne. Just got caught up on your travels, and am impressed now by your wonderful writing as well as by your serious walking. And funny! You should add 'write book' after the Spanish and French lessons.
Buena suerte!
Wendy