Saturday, October 18, 2008

Navarrete to Azofra

I think about 23K - pretty flat, so an easy day.
Not the best sleep last night - a lot of young people partied later than they are supposed to (everyone has to be in bed by 10.00).
I partied with them for awhile, but left them singing songs as I went off to bed. Interestingly, they were all Italian, French, and German, but all their songs were English songs. The last
one I remember hearing was Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" - one of my favourites - kinda nice.

Left this morning in the dark, on my own, in a heavy rainfall.
The worst part about the rain is my fear of falling on these beautiful cobblestone streets, now turned treacherous and, of course, most of them manage to slope steeply leaving town.
I contemplated throwing my backpack down ahead of me to make my descent less scary, but I managed to make it unscathed.
It's a real drag to put on rain pants, rain jacket and rain cover for your knapsack, especially as, despite the fact they are supposed to be breathable, you sweat like crazy.
The day turned nice around noon.

Walked alone today and through more grape groves - beautiful as always. There is a lot of harvesting going on now.
The Albergue in Azofra is really nice - just 2 to a room with twin beds, a pillow and a bedspread. I feel like I'm at the Ritz!
Plus, they even supply clothes pegs for our wash, (I usually have to use the safety pins I brought).
The showers are usually shared by both men and women ( just one at a time), but it's quite tricky getting changed. You have to carry the clothing you are going to change into, into the shower with you. There is usually a hook you can hang everything on, but it's perilously close to the shower, so you always hope you can get out without everything being drenched.

I meant to mention before, that the only other Canadians I have run into are all French Canadian - some of them had just completed the French Camino ( also about 700K), and are now doing the Spanish Camino.

As for the posting yesterday - gosh Vive, I laughed out loud at your Biblical version of my walk. I guess I'm making this sound too grim. What can I say? I'm really enjoying myself, but I'm at a loss to explain why.
And Lucia, at the rate I'm losing stuff there won't be any clothes left to burn.

Going to look for a nice dinner somewhere.
Love to all!!

5 comments:

Diana Minna said...

Hi Lynne, Darlene told me about your blog, and that you were on the Camino. Good on you! I'm a little jealous, but enjoying your blog entries as a surrogate. Was particularly taken with your discovery of actual hair colour - people don't mention this in the guide books! Voyage of self-discovery, indeed. Cheers, Diana.

Steve said...

I think that Susan's earlier suggestion about a laundry soap bar is a pretty good one - if you can find it.

Also, to avoid septic infections from broken blisters, be sure to wash the with a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution or other disinfectant before wrapping them up for the next walk.

Steve's Mom.

Cheryl said...

Hi Lynne: Love your blog & hearing about all your adventures. Reminds me of the girls Italy trip where Vivie had us climb every mountain and forge every stream. Blisters on the feet, wet clothes, aches and pains - oh the joy of it all.
Falling asleep exhausted but exhilarated from doing 10K of walking. (nothing like your impressive 20-30K) Some Canada news - had a Federal election on Oct 14th & the PC's won with a minority gov't AGAIN, so nothing has changed. Loved the story of you wearing a miner's hat in the pre-dawn light. May your blisters be small & your backpack light, and we're all thinking of you every day, every step of the way. Bye for now.Cheryl

lucia said...

One Pilgrim's tidbit re: blisters. Carry a needle and thread and before leaving in the morning puncture and thread the blister leaving the thread in so the blister can drain. Ick!

Pat said...

Pat Price,I can't believe you! Am enjoying your blog.Blisters no thank you.Love,Pat