Friday, October 10, 2008

The Girl Went Over the Mountain

Well the bear went over the mountain today to see what she could see - and she made it!
What a challenge! The road went straight up and kept on going up.
When I registered at the pilgrim office, in order to get my pilgrim's passport, they suggested I start out Thursday afternoon and stop at a hostel just 6 kilometers out of St Jean PdP. I decided to do that as it would shave some time off my trip on Friday.
The first 6K was unbelievable - I have never seen such an incline - at least one I had to walk.
Got to the hostel and had a pleasant evening. They served dinner and all the other guests were either French or German. One french guy spoke a little English so he helped me out. I had one roommate in my dorm, from Lithuania. We couldn't converse at all.
The view from this place was unbelievable - you could see mists rising out of the valley below. Really spectacular!
The climb continued today with the same steepness - I stopped and rested when I couldn't go on.
A beautiful day - sunny - no clouds in the sky.
Very windy as I neared the top and rough walking with lots of mud.
Going down just as hard as going up- very rough on knees and toes.
In any case I made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The hostel here in Roncesvalles is in an old monastery - really cold and no blankets.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Congratulations!!!
I'll sleep a little better knowing that you'r over the hump, as it were.
Ha ha.

vivie said...

YOU DID IT!!! Do you remember the song 'Hello Mother, Hello Father here I am at Camp .....Somehow that was running through my head. On the other hand what an adventure. Keep on trekking Lynne!!!

lucia said...

Good show!!! Knew you would make it. Do envy you and wish I was there. I think from here on it won't be so tough at least from what I've read. The worst is over and the best is yet to come.

Darlene said...

Dear Lynne:
What an amazing and challenging time you have had so far and it gets much easier this was the steepest and longest climb that you will have.
Cangratulations = your courage and perseverance will carry you the rest of the way.
I look forward to hearing more, and walking with you in spirit.
Buen Camino
Darlene

Dee said...

Hi Lynne! Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. I'm so happy for you. How exciting! I hope you brought a camera! Looking forward to reading more of your progress. Gus got a chuckle out of your pastry comment. Haha! I bet the food is awesome, especially after a long trek every day. You go girl!

Keep on trekking. A wide variety of pastries await you at the finish. :)
Love Dee

Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough. - Og Mandino