Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Azofra to Redecilla del Camino - 27 K

Sorry for running behind - we were in very rural areas for the last 2 nights with no Internet.
I may run a few days behind with my news, as I won't get much time on the Internet tonight.
(I'm sending this from a pricey Internet cafe in Burgos - walked about 32 k in the pouring rain today. I'll fill that part in on my blog tomorrow.)

I should mention we had a great group meal at the Albergue in Azofra. The man who ran the place organized it all and it was a lot of fun - about 16 of us - all different nationalities.
We had bread and copious amounts of great Rioja wine, several salads and a local soup called Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup), or soup of the poor. It sounds weird but it was very tasty - garlic, chunks of bread, and egg.
Next morning, I headed off with Hanno from Austria - a good trekking companion. We had lots to talk about and the 27 k went by quite quickly and comfortably.

The Albergue at our resting place in Redecilla was small , but comfortable, but nothing at all in this little hamlet and we weren't even sure we would be able to find a meal.
However the local bar/restaurant/grocery store served us a meal of salad, potatoes fried in tons of oil (but very tasty) and a thin slice of beef. We were all so hungry it tasted great.

No non-smoking rules here.
The older couple that owned the place waited on us with cigarettes dangling from their mouths. Not a turn off really. My rebellious nature appreciates the fact that there is still a corner of the earth where the morality and health police are not in charge.
My dinner companions were Kristina and Lina - 2 Swedish coast guards - and Hanno and Matjaz from Slovenia. We were all in the same small dorm together as well, so kind of fun - like big kids at camp.

Hanno had decide he would leave at 5.00 the next morning and the Swedish girls at 5.30. I didn't feel like rushing in the morning, but whenever you say goodbye to new friends you never know if you will see them on the Camino again. Matjaz said he was going to sleep in, so I started out on my own around 6.30. However, even my miner's flashlight would not cut through the fog and dark. I have to admit, I lost my nerve and decided to wait until it was a little better. The fog never abated, so eventually I went ahead anyway.

In about 2 k I had a chance for my first morning coffee - a big highlight of everyone's morning.
I had noticed that many people ordered their coffee in a large tumbler instead of a cup and one of the Spanish guys had told me the word for glass. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get it right and when I tried to order it, the waitress smiled and looked at the other patrons, who smiled as well. It appears, from what my Spanish friends told me later, when I described what I had said, that I asked for my coffee in a boot.

I can't believe I didn't bring a Spanish dictionary with me. What was I thinking?
(Note to self; after mastering French, sign up for Spanish lessons.)

To be continued - time's up on the Internet.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

hEY
I just read a number of your posts to Roger. We're really enjoying them.

I told Owen about your trip the other morning when I was driving him to school. I explained that each day you walk about as far as to his school in town and back.

His reply "what the "H E double hockeysticks is Nana doing? I hope Steve is with her"

I told him that Steve is not with you. He replied "Well, I can tell you that Nana is PRETTY lonely then". So I told him that there are other people walking with you and you're making new friends.

He said "oh, well that's a SUPER lot of walking, isn't it?"

so there you go. keep well and keep writing.
xoxo