Friday, October 17, 2008

Viana to Navarrete...only 22k



Have I thanked all of you for posting words of encouragement on my blog? In any case it can't be said enough how much I enjoy hearing from many of you. I'm sorry I can't reply personally to each of you but I don't get to use the Internet for very long in the evenings, as there is often a line up.
Pretty good walk today - 22 k - would be a breeze without a backpack. I believe mine is heavier than ever.
Somehow I have overloaded myself with snacks.
When I couldn't find the almonds and raisins I wanted, I bought a box of granola bars. Before I could eat any of them, I'd found the almonds and the a huge bag of enormous raisins that must weigh 2 lbs. Haven't eaten any of them either, as there is such a great selection of Tapas to sample. I'll have to start distributing this stuff to other pilgrims.
Also had to buy some detergent for my clothes, that is too heavy. I left home with something called camp soap, which I have used up. And, in in case, it was totally useless. You often have to hand wash your stuff in cold water, and my white blouse and white bra are now completely grey. Not attractive pinned to the back of my backpack whilst drying.
And speaking of grey, I've found out what colour my hair really is! Jesus, I'll really be a fright by the time I get on that plane to come home in November.
Today I walked through part of the Rioja region, where that fabulous Rioja wine is produced.
It took a long time today to walk through the city of Logroño, a sprawling industrial city and the centre of the Rioja wine industry. The rest of the route wound through a bird santuary and vineyards.
I arrived early today in Navarrete, and managed to land a bottom bunk in the Albergue - and they have pillows!!!!
While I was waiting for the Albergue to open I had a glass of Rioja wine (1 euro) and some amazing tapas.
Apparently they grow mushrooms in caves in this area, so the tapas I had was the most delicious mushroom, roasted or something with great seasoning, doused in olive oil and served on crusty warm bread. So Good!!

By the way, for those of you who know how directionally challenged I am, you must wonder how I am getting from A to B,
The Camino is quite well marked with either a scallop shell (a symbol worn by ancient pilgrims), or a yellow arrow painted on sidewalks, trees, rocks, even the side of houses. Sometimes it gets a little confusing when passing through a city or town, but you only need say to a local person, "Camino?" and they point the way.

By the way Dee, I love your comments on Figs. It's good to know how great a food source they are, given how many I have eaten.
Thanks for your post today Lucia. It was good to hear that you are not bored as yet with all my ramblings.
Wendy, I really look forward to walking with you and Joan again in the Fall. I may have to continue wearing my backpack - It's become part of me.
Love your photo, Laurie and your great note. I don't think I'll be shipping anything home - I'm resigned to my load - if only my feet would adjust. I have blisters on my feet where I didn't think it was possible to get them.
And Vivie, Cheryl, Pat & Susan, I look forward to boring you with more Camion stories on my return.
Lizzy and Leroy, thanks for your encouragement as well.
And Ayden, congratulations on starting your own company. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it on my return.
Thanks to my good friend and Camino coach Darlene who made sure I got on that plane out of Toronto,
And Steve, who resets my blog info and posts it in a readable fashion and takes the time every day to send me a funny and encouraging email. Gracias.
Nice to hear from you Joseph. Thanks for your note.
I'm off for another glass of wine.

5 comments:

vivie said...

Hi Lynne! Your venture actually reads like a Bible story (huge apologies to anyone slighted)God says to Lynne:
See that mountain up there, I want you to climb it....yes, that really steep one....I know you can't even see the top but you will after 4 hours. You will be rewarded by sleeping on the bottom bunk at the 1st monastery.Prepare yourself mentally as blankets are very limited but you will only shiver for a short while before falling asleep as you will be totally exhausted. You will need to plan your nature breaks, the toilet line-ups can be quite long. And don't even think of going to the toilet before you shower as they are on another floor ... and another line up. Bring pretty underwear. They will not dry overnight and you will need to attached them to the outside of your backpack for drying during your walk. And we will finish the story when you are back. Your stories actually sound like trips between Heaven and Hell.
A fountain of wine....I guess there is a God and He as well as all of us are looking out for you and applauding your achievements. Keep on stepping. Love ya, Vivie

Steve said...

A little bleach in the wash and a tumble dry with a fabric softener should perk up those grey fabrics like new!

Well, that's what the Tide people said.

Also, liquid detergents weigh far less than powdered. All you have to do is find tiny bottles of liquid detergent and it'll be all good, Lovie.

lucia said...

I read somewhere that at the end of the journey you are suppose to burn your clothes to represent a new beginning...might be a good idea regardless!

Sandra said...

ok, so I have no idea now where I actually posted my first two notes, but they are in your blog somewhere. Appparetnly it will take me a while to get the hang of this. In case you've missed/I've lost the other ones, I just got the address for your blog from Steve yesterday and am so happy to hear how well you are.

I've spent a couple of weeks in Rioja ten years ago and absolutely loved it. Aren't the people lovely? Are you headed to the coast? or south? I haven't looked yet to see what your route is. I'll do that next.

Your comment a post or two ago about the peace of walking - no decisions to make, no stresses - it reminds me of why I loved canoe camping trips in Northern Ontario parks, and inspires me to try Owen on one next summer. The days are so filled with the basic physical efforts (take down your camp, pack the canoe, canoe for hours, set up camp, cook meals, ...) I always found the physical effort totally consuming, and the result was a state of peace and tranquility that I had not experienced any other way.

hmmmmm... What a great adventure you're having. I've really enjoyed reading your posts. It will be a while before I have a chance to get away on my own for any length of time, so it is nice to experience the walk through you.

talk soon. xo

susan said...

A bar of laundry soap is not very heavy. Cut it up and share it with your fellow pilgrams lighter still.