Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mansilla de las Mulas to León - 20K

Not a bad walk today.
Started out in a light rain, but not as cold as it has been. Walked with Edith (Swiss lady) and Julian, a young law student graduate from Quebec.

Everyone uses a walking stick here - or trekking poles - and I noticed Julian had adapted a hockey stick for himself - how Canadian. Some people use sticks they have dragged from the bush, others carved ones, or special in some way
Or some, like myself, have one or two trekking poles. I brought two, but it is more comfortable to just use one.

20 K seemed pretty easy today after two 27 k days. My shin was staring to hurt yesterday so I'm glad that it wasn't so long.

I'm really annoyed with myself, and I don't understand how it happened, but I have managed to lose my knife, fork and spoon (they were attached together). Not the end of the world, but a little inconvenient.
Lost my gloves as well, which I had to replace because it's way too cold to walk barehanded. With so few worldly goods, you'd think I could manage things better. I'm sure I'll have the organization thing nailed down by the time I have to come home.

I'm here in León, and Edith and I decided to share a room in a monastery converted to a hotel . It is not too expensive and has a bath tub and heat, so quite luxurious from our point of view.
I'm just sending this off from an Internet cafe, as there was no Internet at the hotel, and then I plan on looking around the town, checking out the cathedral and then, maybe a tapas bar tonight for dinner, rather than a pilgrim's menu.

Re: recent posts.
Sandra, Roger and Owen; Thanks so much for your note and congratulations on the new cafe. I can't wait to be there with you.
Lucia; Yes I have thought of California weather a lot these days. The thing is; it would be way too hot to do this walk in the Summer. September is probably ideal.
Andrea; Loved your picture on the blog. How's school going?
Dee; I'm pretty sure the missing underwear is drying on a clothesline somewhere.

By the way, if any of you are reading my blog, but can't figure out how to post a comment and would like to, just send me a personal email, as I check my email as well each day.
I would love to hear from you.
lynne.guthrie@rogers.com

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Hey Lynne any risk that other accomodations may close down in Nov. with winter on the way. We had snow here a couple of days ago. And since nothing is sacred we all want to know, did you bring any woolies for when it really starts to get cold or do you figure you'll finished by then?

Dee said...

I'm surprised that there are no wood stoves or fireplaces at these Albergues you're mentioning.

Darlene said...

Dear Lynne:
Bravo for making it this far - 2 more days of meseta, then you begin climbing out of Astorga where you will find one of my favourite albergues, Refugio Gualcemo.Leon has the most beautiful cathedral and stained glass windows, and it has a palace by Gaudi - I hope you saw them.
Good thing you have your elita underwear - I hope you encounter only heated hostels from now on.
There will be more pilgrims after you reach Sarria, though I met quite a few who started in Leon and Astorga, so I know you won't be walking alone for any great period of time.
Keep posting - I second the notion that this is an award winning blog. I look forward to your posts, and check each day.
Buen Camino
Darlene, la peregrina

Pat said...

dear Lynne,I am SO impressed & am SO enjoying your blog.Love,Pat

Carolyn said...

Hi Lynne, just talking to Pat and she told me about your blog and what you are doing. Fantastic. It sorta reminds me of the bicyle trip Lana, Sherry and I did in Provence. Thank you for your card. I am in Atlanta (drove down with Dad) and leaving for Marco tomorrow am. It's been rough. Mum and I were very close. Keep up the great journey. I don't have a computer in Marco so can't follow. But Sherry and Sandi will. Good trip. Carolyn